Arboria Park

Stacy Halloran has lived most of her life in 1950s-era housing development Arboria Park. But her beloved neighborhood may not survive much longer.

Despite her parents’ entreaties to “stay in the yard where it’s safe,” the Park is where young Stacy roams in quest of “real life.” Through her wanderings, she learns about the area’s agricultural history; meets people from backgrounds different than her own; watches her siblings develop interracial and same-sex relationships; helps launch the local punk-rock scene; and finally, settles as a wife and mother. As the neighborhood declines (along with her relationship with her mother), Stacy considers moving on to rescue herself and her daughter. But then a massive highway project threatens the ever-resilient Park—and it’s Stacy’s task to rally family, friends, and neighbors to save it.
  

My Review

I was not born in the 50's but reading this book and seeing everything through Stacy's eyes; I felt like I was a child of the 50's. It was great getting to "grow up" with Stacy and her family. I loved the Halloran family including Stacy's parents. Despite, Stacy's mother being a bit of a downer, I understood where she was coming from. She was a straight and narrow type of person, who did not accept change very well. Therefore, when Stacy's siblings did not do the normal things, I was cheering for them. You could call Stacy's extended family "a blended mix". Yet, there was love.

I did not just read this book. I have an experience. All of the people in Arboria Park were intriguing. Getting to know all of them was great. I could picture all of the different homes. So, when Stacy felt so strongly about saving Arboria Park, I was right there with her. Arboria Park is an A+ nostalgic read with characters that will leave you feeling like family! I am looking forward to reading more from this author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway