A Darker Shore



1926: A year has passed since the events of “A Poisonous Journey” and Lady Evelyn has made a home for herself in Greece, living with her cousin, Briony, her husband, Jeffrey and Daniel Harper. Disturbing this island idyll is a letter, which arrives from France with troubling information about the Daniel’s long-believed-dead brother, Henry. A new journey awaits! With the shadows of the Great War reaching out, Lady Evelyn and Daniel voyage to Amiens in Northern France with the aim of discovering the truth behind the ominous letter. Upon their arrival, they are met not with clarity but rather with crime. Murder, to be precise. Is it linked to their presence in France, or even worse, to Henry himself?  Evelyn and Daniel must confront their history as they try to make sense of the present before the killer can strike again, and the secrets of the past are lost forever.

PURCHASE AT:

Amazon

 
My Review
 
 A Darker Shore is the second Lady Evelyn Mystery book. Yet, it can be read as a stand alone novel. Having not read the first book I was ok jumping right into this one. Not having an established prior relationship with Evelyn was fine with me. I got to know her through this book. She is a sturdy lady. What I mean by this is that she is not easily the fainting type. She can handle herself in a situation.
This is a nice, cozy mystery. The time period is what first drew me to this book. It leaded itself nicely to the story. The author does paint a good picture of who Evelyn and her husband, Daniel are as a couple. As well as the country of France. What I struggled with is that the story moved slowly. So, slowly that I got about a third of the way into the story and had to take a break from it. I found myself reading the book with some lackluster after I picked it back up. I did jump ahead to a point but never felt like I missed anything by having done this. Despite, the story moving slowly; this was a cozy read.
 

Meet the Author




Malia Zaidi is the author of A POISONOUS JOURNEY. She attended the University of Pittsburgh, and studied at English at Oxford University. Having grown up in Germany, she currently lives in Washington DC, though through her love of reading, she resides, vicariously in countries throughout the world. A POISONOUS JOURNEY is her first book in the Lady Evelyn mysteries series. The sequel, A DARKER SHORE, is her latest novel.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOODREADS




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway